If you're planning a visit to Johns Hopkins University and would like to meet with a student or faculty member, please contact our Senior Academic Coordinator, who can be found on our contact page. If you'd like to learn more about visiting Johns Hopkins in general, or about the surrounding area, visit the JHU Visitor Information page.
For information on applying to and visiting Johns Hopkins University as a prospective undergraduate, please see the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website.
Thank you for your interest in the Ph.D. program in English Literature at Johns Hopkins University. Information on how to apply to the program and what materials are required for a complete application appears below. (For information on visiting Johns Hopkins University as a prospective graduate student, please see the Graduate Affairs Office website.)
All applicants must apply online using the online application and instructions. For further information on the application process including instructions on how to submit supporting materials such as letters of recommendation, transcripts and GRE scores, visit http://www.grad.jhu.edu/admissions/apply
Once you submit your application online, you will receive an email from Graduate Admissions giving you a UserID and Password. You will need these two pieces of information in order to log into the Graduate Admissions website to monitor the status of your application and the receipt of your supplemental materials. The UserID should also be added to any supplemental materials that are submitted in hard copy.
Please note: The deadline for fall 2014 applications is Thursday, December 4, 2014.
Application deadline for Fall 2015 is December 4, 2014.
A complete Ph.D. application consists of:
- On-line application and application fee ($75, which must be charged to a credit card)
- Statement of purpose (1-2 pages)
- Writing sample (25 pages or less)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities one has attended
- Official GRE general and subject test scores taken within the last five years. Please be sure to use the following GRE codes when requesting to have scores sent to Hopkins:
JHU code: 5332 English Department code: 2501
- TOEFL or IELTS. Scores of tests taken within the last two years are required for those applicants whose native language is not English or who have not received a degree from an institution in the U.S, England, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Barbados or Bahamas
JHU code: 5332 English Department code: 14 (TOEFL)
Mail supporting materials (official transcripts and GRE scores) to:
Johns Hopkins University
Full-time Studies in Arts, Sciences and Engineering
Graduate Affairs and Admissions Office
Shriver Hall 28
3400 N. Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21218
For all materials, the admissions office requires the use of the Mailing Label and Cover Sheet. Please note that the Graduate Admissions Office will only accept regular mail, Certified Mail, UPS, DHL and FedEx deliveries.
Interviews are offered after acceptance to the Ph.D. program.
If there are problems accessing the on-line application and supporting forms, please contact the Department of English at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Style DIV, please skip.
Style DIV, please skip.