Thank you for your interest in the PhD program in English literature at Johns Hopkins University. Information on the application process can be found on the Graduate Admissions website.
Once you submit your application online, you will receive an email from Graduate Admissions containing your unique user ID and password. You will need these to log into the Graduate Admissions website to monitor the status of your application.
We have only one admissions cycle, and the application period is open each year from early September through December 15th.
For information on visiting Johns Hopkins University as a prospective graduate student, please see the admissions website.
Applications for Fall 2024 are now closed. The deadline to apply was December 15.
A complete PhD application consists of:
- Online application and application fee ($75, paid by credit card)
- Statement of purpose (1–2 pages)
- Writing sample (25 pages or less, including end notes and bibliography)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- TOEFL or IELTS. Scores of tests taken within the last two years are required for those applicants whose native language is not English or who have not received a degree from an institution in the U.S., England, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Barbados, or Bahamas. JHU code: 5332; English Department code: 14 (TOEFL)
Students admitted to the program will be invited to our Spring Visiting Days events. Our event dates for this admissions cycle will be in early March.