Thank you for your interest in the PhD program in English literature at Johns Hopkins University. Information on the application process can be found on the Graduate Admissions website.
Once you submit your application online, you will receive an email from Graduate Admissions containing your unique user ID and password. You will need these to log into the Graduate Admissions website to monitor the status of your application.
Applications for Fall 2021 are now open; the deadline is December 15, 2020.
A complete PhD application consists of:
- Online application and application fee ($75, paid by credit card)
- Statement of purpose (1–2 pages)
- Writing sample (25 pages or less, including end notes and bibliography)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- TOEFL or IELTS. Scores of tests taken within the last two years are required for those applicants whose native language is not English or who have not received a degree from an institution in the U.S., England, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Barbados, or Bahamas. JHU code: 5332; English Department code: 14 (TOEFL)
- OPTIONAL: Official GRE general and subject test scores taken within the last five years. Please be sure to use the following GRE codes when requesting to have scores sent to Hopkins: JHU code: 5332; English Department code: 2501